Monday, March 15, 2010

Vibrance! - Something New


6" x 6" ~ Oil on Hardboard

Watercolor Girl has decided to expand her horizons a bit and venture into the world of oils. :~) Did I just hear a world-wide "gasp"? Don't worry, watercolors will always be my favorite...but, with a new year, I needed a new challenge. I believe that if we don't shake things up every once in a while we'll stagnate, and I don't want to do that.

So here is my first oil offering..."Vibrance". I've done oils before in college, but not using this technique. I am actually using the exact same process that I use with watercolors...glazing with very thin layers of transparent oil paint. Building form from light to dark. Leaving the whites of the board as my whites. I am really "wowed" by the vibrancy of the oils (hence the title. :~) The color is so rich and intense...love it!!

I am so thrilled to be starting this new chapter in my career. We will still have many beautiful watercolors on my blog, but now they'll be complimented by the new kids on the block...my oils. I hope you like them. :~)

SOLD

11 comments:

Carolina said...

Stunning work, Jacqueline. I love this piece!

Bonnie Heather said...

It turned out awesome. I've been using genesis oils but I just bought some regular water soluble oil to try. You are an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Wow that is amazing. Looks like you are going to have fun with oil.

I recently did a tour of a bunch of art galleries in Vancouver and noticed that there was not one watercolour painting in the 15 galleries that I went to. There was oil and acrylic. It was interesting.

Kaylyn said...

That's remarkable for a first oil. I don't see any mud at all!! Next one you have to use only a palette knife!!

You do such justice to the tradition of floral painting. Every one takes me to the garden, even in the cold winter months. Thank you!!

(I named my daughter Lily because the flowers are so beautiful but the plants are tough and hardy. Funny, she's become just like her namesake!)

Jacqueline Gnott said...

Thank you Carolina. I loved it too.

Hi Bonnie, I was scared at first to try something new...but that's me, :~)...but you just have to get in there and paint! I'm using Winsor Newton Professional Grade Oils. Mostly the transparent colors. Love it!!

Hi "Anonymous". I am already having fun with oils! It's just nice to have a new challenge.

Hi Kaylyn. No palette knife painting for me, we don't want to go that far out of our comfort zone. :~) I won't get mud because I build it us so slowly with the thin glazes and let it dry in between. (Just like my watercolors) Except I have like 5 going at one time and I use a heater to dry them overnight. I've learned a bit more patience.

Maia said...

Hi Jacqueline,
I saw this gorgeous flowers on my dashboard, in the reading list and I had to come over to see it.
I can't believe this is a painting, it is so realistic, I can almost smell the sweet scent.
You must be a very patient person to do this, all by glazing.
Amazing work.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

So pleased to see you have taken up oils for your wonderful 'vibrant' floral studies. Great result - and for the first attempt - amazing.

Stephen Magsig said...

Beautiful Jacqueline, you just can't beat the richness of oils. Especially when you use glazes.

Aruna N Sarode said...

It looks as stunning as your beautiful watercolors. Now you can work in both mediums as your subject/mood pleases.

Terry said...

Truly amazing and just beautiful,love the vibrancy and depth that you have created and how you manage to switch from watercolours to oils with such ease shows what a great and talented artist you are. Look forward to seeing some more works in your 'new' medium in the future

Dabblerteer said...

I'm somewhat red/green colorblind, yet, even for me the intensity of the petals is a jaw-dropper!

You've taken oil painting to a whole new level.

Questions (only if your comfortable answering):
1. Did you use any glazing medium? If so, what?
2. How did you photograph/scan the original art to create the uploaded image and retain the vibrancy?
3. Did you paint from a photograph? (It looks like a Daylily. Are Hemerocallis sp. blooming this early in the Midwest?)
4. Can we look forward to seeing an article about this in Artist's Magazine?