Wednesday, April 20, 2011

White Iris and My Boy Thorn




"White Iris on Navy"
5" x 7" ~ Oil on Hardboard

SOLD



♥♥♥




Thorn at his favorite swimming hole in Michigan.


People have asked about Thorn. Some of you know that he was diagnosed about a month ago with Degenerative Myelopathy. This is a disease that is mainly breed specific to German Shepherds. It leads to paralysis in the hind legs and is untreatable. I started noticing a difference a few months ago where he had a slight drag of his back right foot. I was hoping that it was something temporary... He is only 7 and my heart breaks at the thought of something like this happening to him. We are on a regimen from our vet, which includes lots and lots of exercise to keep his muscles strong. We always walked every day at our county parks, which we love, but now we walk with more determination. The progression of the disease varies from dog to dog and he won't be in any pain. So our only hope is that he continues to do well with only minor problems. We will enjoy every day we have with him. I love him so much. Thank you for letting me share this about my little family.




8 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Jacqueline, I know how much Thorn means to you and I am so sorry to hear about his medical problems. I hope that you will have him with you for many more years.

Studio at the Farm said...

Jacqueline, being an animal lover, I appreciate what you are going through. I wish you both the best going through Thorn's medical problem.

Feathers said...

Jacqueline, As a dog lover who has had several loving doggies over the years and feels that each has been truly a member of our family, my heart goes out to you and Thorn. It's good that you know what is going on so you can act accordingly. So glad he won't have pain.

Feathers said...

I'm so glad Thorn won't have pain with his ailment. Losing strength in his hind quarters is bad enough. Hopefully, it will not progress and you will have lots more years to enjoy together.

Jacqueline Gnott said...

Thank you Christiane, Kathryn and "feathers". We are hoping it progresses slowly. He is such a good boy.

Menaka Indrani said...

Best wishes for Thorn. I know having somebody sick in family is very sad.
Menaka Indrani

Anonymous said...

Hello Jacqueline,
My German Shepherd had the same medical problem as Thorn,
We took her to a Bowen practitioner
and she lived to 17years old.
Hope you have them in the US.
Kind regards.Valerie,England.

Jacqueline Gnott said...

Hi Valerie, What is a Bowen Practitioner? Can you email me directly with more information? RosebudStudios@att.net