Thursday, November 21, 2013

Yellow Apple and Brier Swimming


"Yellow Apple"

Watercolor on Paper
  7" x 7"

Sold to a collector in Tempe, Arizona


***
Below are pictures of Brier doing what he loves the most, swimming.  Since April I've been seeing similar signs that I had seen in Thorn who had Degenerative Myelopathy.  A debilitating disease of unknown causes with no cure.  Brier and Thorn are from totally different breeders.  A couple of years ago a genetic DNA test has been established to test for DM.  It tests to see if this mutated gene is present in the dog.  I am getting that test done through the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals, The University of Missouri.  I'm praying that he doesn't have it.  It was so difficult to see Thorn go through that.  So right now we are seeing two vets for this.  One is his regular vet and one is for chiropractic adjustments and acupuncture.  They both say he needs to keep up his muscle tone and swimming is an excellent exercise.  So he goes once a week to swim at Planet Canine.  The water temperature is 87 degrees, nice and warm to feel good on his muscles.  His physical therapists Anna, Pam and Gabriele make him do circles and figure eights in the water.  But he loves racing with Anna the most.  Please keep Brier in your thoughts and prayers.  I'll keep everyone updated.




1 comment:

Studio at the Farm said...

I will indeed have Brier in my thoughts. I wish all of you the best!
Kathryn