Friday, January 24, 2014

Thirty Paintings in Thirty Days ~ Day 24 and a "Step-by-Step"


"Tomato Grouping"
 Watercolor on Paper
6" x 6" Image Size
  Click here for purchase information.

I've done tomatos before in a different format, but I thought this would work well in the 6" square composition.  A little variation from all of my flowers, but still bright and cheery, for those of us trapped in our houses because of the weather...UGH!

Day twenty four of Leslie Saeta's Challenge.

Here are the links for my library of instructional dvds:
I've also been wanting to post the Step-by-Step of the Calla Lily painting I posted on Day 19.  So that is shown below.  Enjoy! 
  
Masking fluid in place to allow for even application of background glazes.
Masking fluid removed, ready to paint Calla.
Initial glazes for the flower.
Deepening the glazes of the flower.
Initial glazes for the reflection.
Deepening the glazes for the reflection.
Additional deepening of the glazes for the reflection.  Lots of squinting involved in this step to make sure a pleasing visual effect is achieved.
After the final glazes on the reflections, now comes the final "tweeking" on the Calla and the reflection to make sure it's visually where I want it to be.  Possibly leaving the painting for an hour or so, then coming back with a "fresh" eye, to make sure it's exactly how I want it...:-)




















5 comments:

laura said...

Beautiful tomatoes: makes me wish for summer. And thank you for the demo. I'm amazed by how dark and uniform your background is; I can never achieve such velvety darks.

Judy Bakerj said...

Absolutely beautiful! So realistic and perfectly painted. I tried watercolor for years but finally gave up and turned back to oils. Yours are stunning!!!

Pam Schoessow said...

Wow! I can't believe it's a painting! So realistic, I am amazed at your talent. Sorry it's taken me until day 24 to discover your paintings. Your work is exquisite!

Studio at the Farm said...

Exquisite! Thank you very much for your generosity in posting these photos of your process.

Christine Robinson said...

I love the step by step of your beautiful painting.